If you have a proposal (or intention of preparing a new one regarding with our key words) for Aquatic Pollutants call, we will be appreciated if you consider us as a partner.
In our previous study, the sea and wastewater samples were taken from the selected stations, and microbial pollution monitoring were done. In our results, we have found that they contain antibiotic resistance responsible for a Class 1, Class 2 with integro tet (A) and tet (B) genes. Thus, the detection of fecal pollution and bacterial density areas exposed to contamination by determining the regional antibiotic profiles were done.
For our future projects, we will aim to survey AR genes in coastal areas, and also this project includes elements relating to the way people and human communities interact with the environment, animals and each other. Besides, we will continue our studies on plastic (macro/micro) pollution and their toxicity, which is one of the global problems encountered today for water life. For this purpose, we will plan to address one or more of the following four issues.
1. Understanding concentrations of enteric bacteria in coastal areas, and sources, presence, and location of this bacterial group in the marine&fresh&waste water.
2. Understanding sources, presence, location, and eventual fate of antibacterial in the environment, at an appropriate spatial and temporal scale, and relating this to usage and professional practices.
3. Understanding presence, location and levels of resistant bacteria and/or resistance genes in the environment with molecular technics (including measures of abundance, not just presence/absence).
4. Understanding sources of macro/microplastics in marine and freshwater, and identification of polymer groups in water samples
İstanbul University is Turkey's oldest university and İstanbul University-Cerrahpaşa (IUC) is the sister university of IU. In addition, IUC is the one of the prestigious teaching universiy in Marmara Region. Our Lab of Environmental Engineering Microbiology & Toxicology (CEMIK), which is located in Engineering Faculty in Avcılar Campus, is creative and a dynamic lab. Microbiology and toxicology studies of environmental engineering are maintained in this laboratory. Quality of our equipments is confirmed by quality certificates of TURKAK. Our laboratory is formed by three main research groups; 1. Environmental microbiology, 2. Environmental toxicology, and 3. Microplastics survey studies
We offer our expertise in the following fields:
1. Detection and characterization the spread of enteric pathogens related to antimicrobial resistance from the different surface water sources, using PCR technologies
2. Toxicology methods (Daphnia magna Acute Immobilisation Test and Bacterial Bioluminescence Bioassay (Vibrio fischeri- Microtox®) )
3. Determination and identification of Microplastics in Water Samples